Renewable Risk Management and Process Safety are integral parts of the renewable energy industry. Process Safety Management (PSMS) refers to a set of interrelated approaches to managing hazards associated with the process industries and is intended to reduce the frequency and severity of incidents resulting from releases of chemicals and other energy sources (US OSHA 1993). In renewable fuels (biofuels), as well as many other industries, the goal of process safety management is to develop plant systems and procedures to prevent unwanted releases that may ignite and cause toxic impacts, local fires, or explosions.
At LEC, we have the expertise to complete Process Safety Management (PSM) and Risk Management Plan (RMP) compliance-related services. OSHA administers the PSM and RMP programs (29 CFR 1910.119) and the EPA (40 CFR 68) and are for the management of highly hazardous chemicals. Our experts have performed PSM-related work on facilities with ammonia refrigeration, flammables, chlorine, and many other chemicals. They are familiar with current codes and standards and RAGAGEP for ammonia refrigeration systems and flammables-containing processes. They can perform compliance services such as:
- Full initial PSM program development to fulfill the PSM & RMP standards.
- Assistance with RMP initiation for new facilities as a designated ‘preparer’.
- Three-Year Compliance Audits are conforming with 29 CFR 1910.119 (o) and 40 CFR 68.79.
- Process Hazard Analysis for new facilities or a five-year revalidation conforming with 29 CFR 1910.119 (e) and 40 CFR 68.67.
- Project Hazard Review to fulfill Management of Change requirements to consider the impact of change on safety and health as a project-centered PHA. (29 CFR 1910.119 (l)(2)(ii) and 40 CFR 68.75 (b)(2)).
- Third-Party Compliance Audit when required for RMP-covered facilities to fulfill requirements in 40 CFR 68.58, 68.79, 68.80 (implementation by March 15, 2021, per EPA).
Among its 150+ experts, Lee Enterprises Consulting has a wide range of services in bioenergy, biomaterials and chemicals, biotechnologies, and feedstocks. We certainly have specialists in Renewable Risk Management. Our specialty services also include other things like environmental & regulatory compliance, executive recruiting, expert witness engagements, intellectual property (IP) assistance, Life Cycle Analysis, RINs & Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS), market studies, carbon credits, wildlife habitat matters, benchmarking, attestations, DOE Merit Review, BQ9000 Preparation, food safety & defense, insurance selection & procurement.
Take a look at our experts and the services we provide. You will note that most of our experts are also available for ancillary engagements and advice, for specialty engagements like serving as expert witnesses in litigation matters. A good overview of our group is found in this video. Call us at 1+ (501) 833-8511 or email us for more information.