- World’s premier bioeconomy consulting group since 1995.
- Over 150 world-renowned bioenergy and biochemical experts worldwide; completed hundreds of projects over many years.
- Expert assistance for maximum benefit and minimal risk.
- Multidisciplinary Teams with a Single Point of Contact for efficiency, clear communications, and low overhead.
- Sectors: Biofuels, Biomaterials, Biochemicals, Biotechnologies, Feedstocks, Land & Natural Resource Management, Food & Livestock Production, and Hemp/Cannabis.
- Services: Business & Financial, Technical & Engineering, Project Management, Legal & Regulatory, and Specialty Services.
- Let our experience work for you!
- Founder and CEO of Lee Enterprises Consulting since 1995
- Manages Company Operations and Resources
- Specialties: Project Oversight, Biofuels, and Biochemical Plant Sales, Expert Witness and Litigation Support Matters
- Internationally recognized alternative fuels and business consultant with over 30 years experience
- Written two copyrighted series, served on Congressional energy panels, and written many industry articles
- Owns full-service business brokerage firm specializing in buying, selling, and evaluating biofuels and biochemical plants
- See full bio at Lee, Wayne
- Oversight of Company Projects, Business Operations, & Policies
- Specialties: Thermal Processes, Catalysis, Renewable Natural Gas (RNG), Biochemicals, Pyrolysis, MSW Reclamation, IP, Gasification, Biogas, Risk Analysis
- Ph.D. in Inorganic Chemistry from The Ohio State University
- BP Research 21 yrs; Velocys Chief Scientist 9 yrs; Anellotech Consultant 9 yrs
- Authored 20 refereed publications and granted more than 75 US Patents
- See full bio at Mazanec, Terry
- Serves as Advisor to CEO and Board
- Specializes in Strategic Planning & Government Policy
- Former Secretary of the Navy for Energy, Installations, and Environment
- Former President of the American Council on Renewable EnergyBoard member – Rocky Mountain Institute, Customer First Renewables, Willdan Group Inc., HALO Maritime Systems & Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)
- B.S.in Naval Engineering, U.S. Naval Academy; Chief of Naval Operations Strategic Studies Fellow at the U.S. Naval War College
- See full bio at McGinn, Dennis
- Project Oversight in Business & Financial Matters
- Specializes in Biomass Power, Financing & Permitting, Cellulosic Biomass Supply, Financial Modeling, Agricultural Waste, and Project Management
- Recognized as 1 of the 5 most influential people renewable energy experts in North America
- 25 years in biomass energy project development, finance, and commercializing new technologies
- Supply chain expert in agricultural wastes and purpose-grown energy crops
- Former Director of Product Strategy, North America – AGCO Corporation
- Serves as an industry advisor to the USDOE’s Feedstock Supply and Logistics Program and the Feedstock Conversion Interface Consortium
- See full bio at Farris, Glenn
- Project Oversight in Engineering, Process Scaleup, Techno-Economic Assessments (TEA), Market Analyses, CO2 Utilization, Advanced Biofuels, Bio-based Chemicals, RDF, Algae.
- Specializes in new technology development and deployment with a focus on biofuels and bio-based processes, syngas generation from biomass and refuse-derived fuel (RDF), bio-jet via Fischer-Tropsch, and competing routes, soy biodiesel, pyrolysis, anaerobic digestion, and soy and algae bio-plastics.
- Over 20 years experience in assessing technologies and markets, development and deployment, licensing, and contracts for technology companies, project developers, investment firms, and insurance companies.
- MBA and M.S. in Natural Resources and Environment from the Univ. of Michigan and BS in Chemical Engineering from Ohio University.
- See full bio at Dritz, Tad
- Advises the CEO and leadership team regarding business planning and strategy
- Project Oversight in Synthetic Biology, Industrial Biotechnology, and Ethanol
- Specializes in Renewable Chemicals, Fermentation, Biobased Materials, Biofuels, Food Ingredients, Enzymes, Biomass Conversion, and Strategic Planning
- Internationally recognized success in developing, optimizing, and commercializing bioprocess technologies with over 40 years of experience
- Former Executive at Green Biologics Inc., Butylfuel™, Osage BioEnergy, AS Alliances Biofuels, Abengoa Bioenergy, Balchem, Opta Food Ingredients, and Genencor
- Advisory Boards: Green Biologics; BioRenewable Deployment Consortium; Fermentum; and Business Climate Leaders
- B.S. Chemical engineering Va. Tech and M.S. in Chemical and Biochemical Engineering from the University of Pennsylvania
- See full bio at Stone, Joel
- Project Oversight in Enzymes, Cellulose, Renewable Chemicals, Fermentation and Ethanol
- Specializes in BioProcess Development & Scale-Up, Fermentation Processes, Ethanol, Enzyme Technology, Cellulose Conversion, Renewable Chemicals
- Ph.D. from the University of Arkansas with specializations in enzymes, fermentation, and cellulose conversion technology
- 40 years of recognized success developing, optimizing, and commercializing bioprocess technologies
- Former Director of R&D at ICM; Leadership roles at SAIC, Michigan Biotechnology Institute (MBI), Southern Research Institute, ADM, and Gulf Oil Corporation
- See full bio at Rivers, Doug
- Project Oversight in Engineering, Biotechnologies, Advanced Biofuels, and Bio-plastics
- Specializes in Engineering Oversight, Process Scale-up, Techno-Economic Assessments (TEA), Market Analyses, CO2 Utilization, and Alternative Feedstocks
- Over 20 years of recognized success developing and deploying environmentally preferred technologies. Experience with both sustainable and traditional oil & gas and chemical processes, and how innovative bio-based concepts compete with incumbents in terms of economics and environmental impact
- Domestic and international experience including roles at Velocys and Bechtel, where he participated in a $14 billion upgrade of Mexico’s largest offshore oil field
- Licensed Professional Engineer in Texas. MBA and M.S. in Natural Resources and the Environment from the University of Michigan
- See full bio at Giles, Richard
- Eng.Sc.D. and over 35 years experience in chemical process research, process development, and process engineering.
- Pyrolysis, Hydrogenation, Intellectual Property, Chemical Processes, Process Engineering, Technology Assessments, Scale-Up, Pilot Plant Construction, and Operation.
- Scale-up of new monomer production, hydrogenation technology, and exotic chemistries as boro-fluoro compounds for Li-battery electrolytes. Served as Vice President of Process Engineering for leading process engineering group in developing process design packages in various industries. Chief Technology Officer for Anellotech, leading the successful pilot demonstration of catalytic pyrolysis of biomass to produce aromatic chemicals, followed by the generation of a basic engineering package for the commercialization of the technology
- Masters and Doctorate in Chemical Engineering, and a Bachelors in Bio-Chemical Engineering from Columbia University Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science.
- See full bio at Cartolano, Tony
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering and over 40 years experience in biological and chemical process industries.
- Roles included Innovation Director, Engineering & Technology VP, VP Operations, Plant Manager, and Project Management for projects ranging from $200MM to $3+ billion.
- Advanced Process Monitoring & Control, Ethanol & Protein Feed Ingredients, Due Diligence, Project Management
- Evaluated many new ethanol & biodiesel technologies which have resulted in major investments in protein co-products, yield, energy reduction/carbon intensity, and production rate improvements.
- Completed due diligence for the acquisition of seven ethanol plants on both buyer and seller sides.
- See full bio at Sticklen, Mike
- Project Oversight in Funding, Grants, Loans and Financial Matters
- Specializes in USDA Matters, Federal Funding and Programs Grants, Loans & Loan Guarantees
- Former Assistant for Renewable Energy to U.S. Secretary of Agriculture
- Former USDA Under Secretary for Rural Development
- 37 Years at USDA – in-depth knowledge of federal programs that provide financial assistance for research, development and demonstration, feasibility/marketing studies, and interim and permanent interim and permanent financing of commercial-scale renewable energy projects
- See full bio at Hagy, Bill
“You are not immune to market risks, even if you have feedstock and offtake contracts.”
“We retained two Lee Enterprises Consulting experts in a federal case. We were able to reach an extraordinary result that would not have occurred absent their diligent work. “
“We have very much enjoyed working with Lee Enterprises Consulting and appreciated the attention to detail and positive attitude throughout the work. We have additional work we are considering to have you perform for us”.
“In the creation of a successful business case, take into account validated technological and business value, not only cost and price. ”
“Lee Enterprises Consulting comprises a one-stop solution to the most critical bioeconomy needs through it’s tightly managed base of nearly 140 professionals and firms providing assistance from technology and project development, to engineering, financing, and construction execution, to negotiating and drafting all required legal documentation, to state and federal regulatory compliance, to everyday management support.”
“Your team of experts was impressive and met our needs in a timely fashion. We used the information from your report to reassure our local elected officials about our project. This contributed to successfully securing all local approvals necessary for our industrial tax exemption application.”
“Thanks for the great model and quick iterations. We are very happy with the deliverables and are thinking of asking for your help to model out our future processes”.
“We engaged Lee Enterprises to conduct technology due diligence and do a techno-economic evaluation for us. They did the project well and got it done in record time.”
“Ongoing power costs may dwarf savings on capital costs when using sub-optimum equipment.”
“Develop clear pass/fail criteria for new markets and new technologies by applying the best possible knowledge.”
New biotech businesses often require large cap-ex. Is it a good use of venture capital or too risky for project financing?
“We hired Lee Enterprises Consulting to help us prepare our IP protection plan and patent application. LEC exceeded our expectations, providing technology and market insight to identify further areas where our technology could be utilized, broadening the scope of our patent application.”
“The cost of the engagement with Lee Enterprises Consulting was less than budgeted and the work was done in a highly professional and timely manner. We would be happy to work with them again and certainly trust their advice and judgement.”
“Lee Enterprises Consulting offers clients access to a broad range of experts with backgrounds in all of the necessary aspects of getting bio projects off the ground.”
“I sought a validation report from a recognized organization that has experience with LCFS program in California that would pertain to the feedstocks that we plan to use in our renewable diesel plant. Your expert wrote the report and did a great job for us. I have and will continue to recommend your company”. (Renewable Diesel Plant)
“Know who benefits and who pays, and what happens if those that pay suddenly stop because a market has shifted.”
“ Rapid, well-thought-out experimentation is key to innovation. Aim for fast success, however, don’t be afraid to kill a project if it does not meet agreed-upon success criteria.”
“It is not finance or technology that makes or breaks a project. It is the resource availability and logistics costs.”
“From a subcontracts perspective, it has been a pleasure working with LEC. All requests were responded to and completed in a timely fashion. Our interactions with them were courteous and professional.”
“Get unbiased third-party advice. Shortcuts are illusions of the solutions they pretend to be.”
“We engaged Lee Enterprises to evaluate a combustion issue for us and they did a very thorough and professional job. Their report helped us to identify a path for future combustion studies and provided a thorough account on current empirical data.”
“Most Federal Funding Programs require some percent of the project costs be provided as a cash contribution by the applicant.”
“The results of our Feasibility Study drove our decision to move forward with the next phase. Our decision to extend the contract with Lee Enterprises Consulting to study expanding an existing facility, followed by a full Business Plan, was based on their knowledge, the methodology used in the process, and the professional manner that our team was treated”.
“Do not try to base a successful business model in reliance on government subsidies that change frequently.”
“Do not get out too far in front of a new technology. It must be fully proven at every step of the scale up.”
“Consider the entire supply chain, not just the part your product plays in it.”
“The expert did a very nice job for our team. The overseas client watched his testimony live and was impressed.”
“ Your team did a great job for us as we continue underwriting this transaction. Your team’s ability to identify areas of concern in yield achievement and cost expectations for the expansion were very helpful. Thanks again for the great work”.
“We engaged Lee Enterprises to do a pre-feasibility study of a value-added wood process with a commercial partner. Their team of consultants – including two from Canada – provided a comprehensive, detailed preliminary review of the technology, economics, and market, including some solid recommendations for implementation. Our entire group was impressed with the professionalism and collegial working relationships, and we would be very glad to work with them again.”
“We hired Lee Enterprises Consulting to help prepare revenue projections of offtake agreements for refined anaerobic digester biogas including an assessment of future RIN and LCFS credit values to meet California Energy Commission grant requirements. LEC exceeded our performance expectations, working well with all parties involved and providing the reports meeting CEC requirements.”
“Lee Enterprises Consulting offers clients single-point, comprehensive access to a team of world-class bioenergy industry experts.”
“We contracted Lee Enterprises to evaluate the feasibility of a rice hulls to power project for us. They provided us the expertise and deep industry knowledge we needed. They did a very thorough and professional job and we were very satisfied with their work. We will work with them in the future.”
“Benchmark costs of your current solution and consider all operations activities.”
“Balance the social, economic, and environmental aspects of each project with a holistic view of the supply chain from feedstock production to end-user.”
“Thanks again for your insights and attention to detail on this case. Your help has been invaluable”.
“Thank you. We could not have been more pleased with [Expert’s] help. He was exactly what we needed”.
“Assumptions are not facts. Validate at each step of the way.”
“A technology is not a business. The question is always how it can be monetized.”