Renewable energy and biochemical consulting firms like Lee Enterprises Consulting have experts and strategic partners in designing and building pilot and demonstration bioeconomy plants, as well as other experts in biofuels/renewable fuels, biomaterials, biomass, and biomass power, feedstocks, biotechnologies, and a variety of specialty services. What does a modular design-build fabricator provide to bioeconomy clients? In a modular plant, the process equipment, instrumentation, valves, piping components, and electrical wiring are mounted within a structural steel framework – a skid or module. Each skid is a self-contained process unit constructed and tested offsite at the manufacturer’s facility; multiple skids can be connected together in the shop, to match the production site configuration. Following a factory test, the modules are shipped to the production site, where they are erected and integrated; the modules are connected to the site utilities and tested in place during startup and commissioning.
Many bioenergy and biochemical projects can benefit from a modular design-build approach:
- Pilot or demonstration plants can be constructed and tested at a full-service facility. Using an experienced design-builder allows companies to pilot their process, not the equipment.
- Modular plants are fabricated in a generally safer, cleaner, and more controlled indoor environment compared with on-site fabrication.
- Plant implementation is fast-tracked by allowing the construction of modules during time-consuming permitting and site development activities.
- Some processes benefit from distributed production with multiple, smaller plants located close to feedstock sources.
- A design-builder that doesn’t take a position in a project allows clients to own all the IP.
- Chemical process plant capacity expansion can be achieved by adding modules; minimizing disruption and facilitating process upgrades.
Some concerns regarding the modular approach include module transportation requirements; the level of detailed upfront engineering, planning, and communications required; and local labor availability. Using a module fabricator with an experienced engineering design team reduces the scope of required upfront engineering.
For more than 25 years, Lee Enterprises Consulting has been at the forefront of the bioeconomy. Our highly differentiated market position centers around our deep subject matter expertise in very specialized areas. We help clients minimize technical and economic risk by leveraging best practices in our industries, and we have a long track record of providing insightful analysis and practical advice. Our reputation is unparalleled because we provide a simpliﬁed process, with a single point of contact to a diverse international network of proven experts in biofuels, biomaterials, feedstocks, alternative proteins, and existing & emerging technologies. Providing access to over 150 world-renowned bioeconomy experts allows us to create tailored solutions to meet each project’s individual needs. Please take a look at our experts and the services we provide. Call us at 1+ (501) 833-8511 or email us for further information.