What does a biomass feedstock expert or biomass feedstock consultant do? A Biomass Feedstock Expert is an essential part of biomass project financing: the expert acts as a credible, recognized independent 3rd party to help biomass project developers and capital providers assess the feedstock risk of individual projects.
A Biomass Feedstock expert understands how to:
- Source various types of biomass such as wood fiber, agricultural residues and food wastes.
- Find higher value markets for biomass by-products such as solid and liquid food wastes, wood fiber (i.e. sawdust) or agricultural residues (i.e. corn stover) or by-products (i.e. digestate, DAF float, peanut hulls, packaged food waste, whey waste, ash);
- Assess and quantify the risk of biomass supply chains;
- Manage and de-risk biomass supply chains;
- Decrease the cost and increase the reliability of biomass feedstock supply by finding additional suppliers.
A biomass feedstock expert should have at least 10 years’ experience in feedstock supply and risk mitigation. They should have a deep understanding of the intricacies and complexities of biomass supply chains, including supplier habits and preferences, buyer tactics and strategies, and the role of biomass specs and price in supply chain behavior.
They should be familiar with the most up-to-date and accurate analytics used to quantify biomass supply chain risk including computer modeling of growth-to-drain analysis, competitor impact analysis, Monte Carlo price and risk forecasting, GIS-based analyses, competition impact assessments, transportation cost analysis, and location optimization.
At Lee Enterprises Consulting, we have a number of highly qualified biomass feedstock experts available to assist you with any related matters. Feel free to call or email us for more information.